Thursday 25 August 2011

Window Dressing...

What I noticed lately when I've been out and about was a thing for masking over windows and buildings that were being renovated or were standing empty.

 I hadn't really noticed how popular this seems to be until I started to actually look for it. I suppose the idea is that as a passer by, you're not supposed to notice the difference and so universal equilibrium and oneness with the world can be maintained. 

Seems like a lot of effort to me. If you're going to bother, then why not cover the offending architecture with something a little bit less ordinary that we can all get a lot of enjoyment out of?

 However I do like the idea that you can just wrap an entire building in a digital print, complete with reflections in the fake windows (see the Starbucks building). My favourite so far has to be the hand painted board over a bedroom window (below) taken in Whitby.

University of Manchester




Starbucks building Manchester


Stockport - Look closely, this shop must sell Travelodges when it's not being empty. Maybe that's why it's empty.

Whitby 

No comments:

Post a Comment